Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Single Malt Scotch/Ghost Pepper Salami

 
 
This is my (2nd) favorite Scotch.  Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, which is 12 year old Single Malt scotch that is finished in Port Barrels.  Next to the GM 18 this is the bees knees for me, and I couldn't think of anything better to use for my first "Scotch" salami.
 
I want to say thank you to Creminelli Salami  for the inspiration for this recipe. 
 
I used my standard 3lb Salami batch recipe, substituting Ghost Pepper salt for Kosher salt, and 1 cup Glenmorangie for the wine/water usually used.   Lacto Fermenter is kimchi juice ( just 2TBSP so as not to impart too much flavor )
 
 
This is the Ghost Pepper Salt, obtained at Willakenze Winery annual Cellar Club Members party and harvest market.   It's hot and spicy without the overwhelming heat, but will definitely make you pay attention!

 
Here they are, stuffed, tied, and ready to go into the ghetto fermenter for 2 days at about 80F, then to hang in the curing chamber for about 3 weeks.

 
 
This is another "experiment" of mine.   It's my standard Chorizo Verde, but this time with the addition of some home infused Habanero Sea Salt. Lacto Fermenter is 1 cup of Kimchi Juice, which also replaces the wine I usually use.   I'm excited to see how this one turns out as well, but not as nervous about it as the Scotch/Ghost Pepper Salami.

 
Here's a mini update on this years prosciutti:
 
Been salting in the fridge for about 3 weeks now, looking good.   The large legs will sit here for another 2-3 weeks ( with a resalting once per week or so ) and the small front legs ( shoulders with attached trotters ) will be rinsed off, larded up, and hung this weekend or next, based on my schedule.
 
 
PS.. I ran 18 miles on Sunday!!! Hard to believe that one year ago I could barely run 3 without dying.  40+ pounds lighter, healthier physically and mentally.   Life is good, get off the couch and live!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment