Thursday, February 25, 2010

Baby Boule


One of the benefits of living on 20th ave in SE Portland is the proximity of great neighbors.




One of my neighbors, we'll just call him JDub, is quite the amateur baker.

He's been telling me for months how easy it is to make, so I finally decided to take the plunge and try it. I've been making awesome bread now for about 3 months.. and it's all thanks to JDub.


Here's the simple recipe and baking process:

6 1/2 c flour

1 tbsp yeast

1 tbsp salt

3 cup water ( 110 degrees or so )

Dissolve yeast and salt in water.. let sit for 10 mins to give that yeast time to bloom.

Mix liquid with flour. Rise 2 hours, put in fridge.

When you want bread.. reach in the bowl.. grab a handful ( depending on how big of a loaf you want ). - Use flour on your hands and board to avoid sticking.

Form into a round ( boule means ball in in French ). Rise for one hour

Make sure to put down semolina flour or cornmeal on your board to keep from sticking.

Cut 1/4" slits in top, throw a bit of salt on top.

Preheat oven to 475 degrees F. Put loaf in ( on baking stone preferably ).

NOTE - For that "crispy crunchy crust" put a pan in bottom of oven, place one to two cups of water in the pan when you put the bread in. The humidity will crisp it up.

Enjoy!!!

4 comments:

  1. You're quite the culinary whiz! You may have just convinced me to give up my breadmaker. Perhaps you just make it look and sound easy though, hmmmm. Btw, I love, love, love "The Charcuterie Project"… good on you and welcome to the wonderful and exciting world of blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely give it a try. 10 mins tops to prepare enough dough for a week or two, then 5 mins to pull out a handful of dough , form it, and let it rise for 10-60 mins. 25-40 mins in the oven and you're in bread heaven!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use a recipe very similar to that - it is fantastic and embarrassingly easy. My kids call it "Crusty Bread." I definitely recommend the pan of water method, and the last time I made it I used the dough hook in the mixer to knead it and it came out even better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make a similar no-knead bread. Comes out a bit flat, "you made a pancake Mama!" says my 5 year old, but dee-lish.

    ReplyDelete